Thursday, September 22

Macau: 3-day update

So I have been away in Mainland China for the last 3 days on business and as many of you know, China has banned Facebook, blog sites, and any other pages that allow self expression. Fortunately for me Macau is across the border from Mainland so I can use these websites. Therefore, here is my update for the last 3 days.
We arrive in Fuzhou on tuesday and went straight to the factory where I met the staff and watched how the production takes place (if you've never been to a factory but you've seen movies with them, it's exactly like that). It was really interesting, actually. We were there many, many hours meeting with the manager and discussing production possibilities for my designs. That night we stayed at a really beautiful Shangri-La hotel but had to wake up 5 in the morning to catch a train out to Ningbo.
The train took 3 hours and I saw what the Chinese countryside looks like. When you're not seeing old run down buildings and rice fields, it's absolutely gorgeous. It's only a shame I didn't bring my system camera with me.
In Ningbo we went to another factory (far more clean and better quality) where Baleno, the company I am designing for, is interested in transferring their production to. I spent about 6 hours without moving designing two more shirts and two pairs of pants. Today I finalized a third pair of pants, a jacket, and another shirt. 7 full product designs in 10 hours is not bad! Although very exhausting. However all the effort paid off! All 3 pants, 4/7 jackets and both shirts will have samples produced. Two of the other jackets will be produced once the third has been modified. Can't wait :)
On a side note: if you have no experience in being an insane lunatic, don't drive in China. Ever.

Chinese countryside (not wonderful pictures)

Who needs elevators when you have narrow sheets of slippery concrete?

Not bad, Howard Johnson

Best breakfast I've had since I got to China...and it was French.

1 comment:

  1. Bring your Nikon next time! Would love to have a whole photo diary of your experiences :)

    ReplyDelete